2 Cor. 11:14
1 Peter 5:8
2 Peter 2:4
Every Occurrence of Satan
The following list of every occurrence of the Hebrew word "satan" (Strong's Hebrew #7853-5 and Greek #4567-7) is meant as an aid for the diligent Bible student. (The actually word is in bold type for each verse). It is believed by Christadelphians that satan is a term used frequently (but not always) for sin and/or a person or group who manifests sin. The best approach is to carefully consider each verse and draw conclusions. It is therefore suggested to start the exercise by considering the word satan which has Old and New Testament usage while the word diabolos is wholly a New Testament word. We would wish the student to come to this list of verses without prejudice or presuppositions. Ask these questions about each verse:
- What does this verse tell me about satan?
- Who is the reference speaking about? (Many times we are not told but this does not leave room for assumptions).
- Does the verse actually tell me about a wicked fallen angel? (A common reply is, "Who else could it be?" This, in itself, does not prove the existence of a fallen angel.)
- The Hebrew satan means adversary or opposer. It has been translated as adversary, adversaries, accusation, resist in the KJV. In most places it has not been translated but transliterated as Satan.
The hypertext links will direct you to the Wrested Scripture entry associated with that verse.
- Numbers 22:22
- "And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the LORD stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him."
- Numbers 22:32
- "And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:"
- 1 Samuel 29:4
- "And the princes of the Philistines were wroth with him; and the princes of the Philistines said unto him, Make this fellow return, that he may go again to his place which thou hast appointed him, and let him not go down with us to battle, lest in the battle he be an adversary to us: for wherewith should he reconcile himself unto his master? should it not be with the heads of these men?"
- 2 Samuel 19:22
- "And David said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah, that ye should this day be adversaries unto me? shall there any man be put to death this day in Israel? for do not I know that I am this day king over Israel?"
- 1 Kings 5:4
- "But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent."
- 1 Kings 11:14
- "And the LORD stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite: he was of the king's seed in Edom."
- 1 Kings 11:23
- "And God stirred him up another adversary, Rezon the son of Eliadah, which fled from his lord Hadadezer king of Zobah:"
- 1 Kings 11:25
- "And he was an adversary to Israel all the days of Solomon, beside the mischief that Hadad did: and he abhorred Israel, and reigned over Syria."
- 1 Chronicles 21:1
- "And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel."
- Ezra 4:6
- "And in the reign of Ahasuerus, in the beginning of his reign, wrote they unto him an accusation(sitnah) against the inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem."
- Job 1:6
- "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them."
- Job 1:7
- "And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."
- Job 1:8
- "And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?"
- Job 1:9
- "Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?"
- Job 1:12
- "And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD."
- Job 2:1
- "Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD."
- Job 2:2
- "And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."
- Job 2:3
- "And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause."
- Job 2:4
- "And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life."
- Job 2:6
- "And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life."
- Job 2:7
- "So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown."
- Psalms 38:20
- "They also that render evil for good are mine adversaries; because I follow the thing that good is."
- Psalms 71:13
- "Let them be confounded and consumed that are adversaries to my soul; let them be covered with reproach and dishonour that seek my hurt."
- Psalms 109:4
- "For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer."
- Psalms 109:6
- "Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right hand."
- Psalms 109:20
- "Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD, and of them that speak evil against my soul."
- Psalms 109:29
- "Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame, and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle."
- Zechariah 3:1
- "And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him."
- Zechariah 3:2
- "And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?"
- Matthew 4:10
- "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."
- Matthew 12:26
- "And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?"
- Matthew 16:23
- "But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."
- Mark 1:13
- "And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him."
- Mark 3:23
- "And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?"
- Mark 3:26
- "And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end."
- Mark 4:15
- "And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts."
- Mark 8:33
- "But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men."
- Luke 4:8
- "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."
- Luke 10:18
- "And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."
- Luke 11:18
- "If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub."
- Luke 13:16
- "And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?"
- Luke 22:3
- "Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve."
- Luke 22:31
- "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:"
- John 13:27
- "And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly."
- Acts 5:3
- "But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?"
- Acts 26:18
- "To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."
- Romans 16:20
- "And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."
- 1 Corinthians 5:5
- "To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."
- 1 Corinthians 7:5
- "Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency."
- 2 Corinthians 2:11
- "Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices."
- 2 Corinthians 11:14
- "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."
- 2 Corinthians 12:7
- "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure."
- 1 Thessalonians 2:18
- "Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:9
- "Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,"
- 1 Timothy 1:20
- "Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme."
- 1 Timothy 5:15
- "For some are already turned aside after Satan."
- Revelation 2:9
- "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan."
- Revelation 2:13
- "I know thy works and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."
- Revelation 2:24
- "But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden."
- Revelation 3:9
- "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee."
- Revelation 12:9
- "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."
- Revelation 20:2
- "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,"
- Revelation 20:7
- "And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,"